You’re invited to join our team of volunteers. Whether you are a student (ages 12 and up) or adult, employed or retired, you will be a welcome addition to our library team. Anacortes Public Library has many opportunities for you to share your skills, experience, time, and passion for the library.
To join our team of volunteers, complete our online volunteer application.
(The Anacortes community is generous with volunteers, so sometimes the library does not have positions that fit your specific skill set at the time of your application. If this is the case, we will save your application for future opportunities, and we recommend reaching out to other city departments that have volunteer opportunities.)
What can I do? Volunteers may help with a variety of tasks, some simple and some more specialized. Volunteers may come in weekly, monthly, or only assist with a specific event. Volunteers may also help with our community outreach programs.
How can volunteering benefit me? Volunteering at the Library can be a rewarding experience. Some of the things you’ll have the opportunity to do as a volunteer:
- Learn new skills and exercise old skills
- Meet new and interesting people
- Gain a feeling of accomplishment
- Learn more about the Library and its many resources
- Make a real difference in the community.
Step 1 | Sign Up
How do I volunteer? Complete the online volunteer application and our Public Services Manager will contact you for an interview and background check when a position is available.
Step 2 | Volunteer Training
Our Volunteer Coordinator will contact you to schedule your 1-hour training. You will meet the staff and join the team. Our staff will support you and answer your questions.
Step 3 | Volunteer
- Work with a staff member on a project.
- Sign in each time to help track volunteer hours.
- Attend special trainings and events to help with special projects and celebrate volunteers like you.
- All Volunteer positions are assessed at the time of application to see what the Library's current needs are. Not all positions are available. Below are examples ONLY of what may be needed. After applying, library staff will reach out to let you know if a position is available based on your interest and qualifications.
- Friends Shop Volunteer
- Board member for Friends of the Foundation, APL Library Board, or the Library Foundation
- Behind the Scenes Wizard: Weekly materials maintenance (limited availability, currently all positions are full).
- Youth Services Specialist: Craft and activity preparation for Storytimes and children’s activities (Meet with YS staff to determine needs).
- STEAM Assistant: Help with Children's STEAM program set-up and clean-up with Youth Services Staff.
- Marketing Historian (Photographer at special events with coordination with staff.)
- Technology Guide: Assist library staff with technology help during Tech Tuesday
- Event Squad: Assist with:
- Genre Night (November annual event)
- Outreach Events
- Youth Programs after hours
- Special Author Events