Shoreline Master Program (SMP) Periodic Update
Washington state law requires that the City of Anacortes review and update its Shoreline Master Program (SMP) every 8 years in accordance with the Shoreline Management Act (SMA) and its current guidelines and legislative rules to attain state approval. The City’s timeline includes completing this periodic update by June 30, 2020 (likely to be extended due to COVID-19 emergency).
Open House #2 (On-line)
We are holding the 2nd open house virtually in light of recent directives related to the COVID-19 emergency. Please click on the links below to learn more about the proposed amendments to the Shoreline Master Program and next steps in the process.
- Video Presentation. Presentation with slides and audio describes the SMP update process and explains key proposed amendments to the SMP. (Slides only, no audio version is available here.)
- Gap Analysis. Identifies the current Shoreline Master Program’s (SMP) gaps in consistency with state laws, issues with integrating the City’s upcoming critical areas regulations into the updated SMP, gaps in consistency and implementation between the updated SMP and the City’s Comprehensive Plan and Zoning Code, and other issues to consider as part of the periodic update process to produce a more effective SMP.
- Summary of Draft Proposed Amendments.
- Complete Text of Draft Proposed Amendments. 2010 SMP document with proposed amendments using track changes. Comments in the margin provide a link to the corresponding issue identified in the Gap Analysis.
Please contact Libby Grage, Planning Manager, with questions. In the coming months, a formal public comment period will be advertised so the community can share feedback on the proposals.
The timeline for this project has been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. The next steps in the process will be determined based on following state and public health official’s guidelines for resuming public gatherings and meetings.
- Online Open House – Ongoing
- Planning Commission Workshop – TBD
- Joint Ecology/City public hearing & comment period – TBD
- Planning Commission review and recommendation – TBD
- Local adoption of the SMP – TBD