Current Facility Closures
- Anacortes Public Library
- Anacortes Senior Activities Center
- Anacortes Museum
- City Hall closed to the general public.
All City essential services will continue, including public safety, solid waste services, water and sewer.
City of Anacortes Information by Department
Essential staff will continue to work in City Hall.
City of Anacortes Public Meetings
The City of Anacortes has instituted Temporary Procedures to Respond to the COVID-19 virus. City leadership will continue to work hard to protect our community and ensure continuity of essential services while minimizing exposure to our residents and staff.
- The City is postponing indefinitely all meetings of the Anacortes Planning Commission and all other City boards and commissions.
- All City Councilmembers are encouraged to attend all meetings via telephone.
- All in-person Committee meetings of the City Council are cancelled. Council committee meetings may be held telephonically.
- The public comment portion of Council meetings and any scheduled public hearings are temporarily suspended to discourage public in-person attendance of City Council meetings. City Council and staff encourages members of the public to participate by watching meetings live or viewed after the fact on the City of Anacortes website or on Channel 10. The public is encouraged to comment via email or written comment addressed to: City Clerk, P.O. Box 547, Anacortes, WA 98221. Public comments received prior to the meeting will become part of the record for the meeting, just as if presented in person.
Please contact the Mayor’s office at 360-299-1950 with any questions.
The Anacortes Fire Department business office will be closed to public until further notice.
The Anacortes Public Library is closed.
This includes the Community Meeting Room and Study Rooms. All holds and checkouts are suspended. The following services will continue:
- Email reference services – Monday through Friday, 11:00am – 4:30pm
- Online activities and storytimes and training sessions on how to navigate e-resources (watch our Facebook page or website for links for our latest offerings!) https://www.anacorteswa.gov/220/Library
- Increased purchasing of eBooks and eAudiobooks
- An online library card signup process so that patrons can get cards and use them for e-materials
- Daily wifi in our parking lot – 7:00am – 10:00pm
The library book drop will be closed. Please hold onto your items until we reopen. The library does not charge overdue fees, and all items will be auto-renewed until the library opens.
Expanded online resources
Hoopla checkouts are extended to 10 items a month with support from the Library Foundation. Overdrive/Libby, Lynda, Mango, and more are available using your library account via online access for digital books, audio books, online tutorials, movies, music and more.
All library adult and children’s programming has been cancelled until further notice. For a full list of cancellations and postponements please visit the City of Anacortes Public Library web page.
The Friends of the Library shop is closed until further notice.
The Anacortes Museum is closed.
Here is a list of Anacortes Museum activities you can do from home or anywhere:
- Our Newspaper Exhibit is now free to access online.
- Our photo database has over 55,000 keyword searchable photographs, representing the artifacts in the Online Anacortes Museum Collection. You can browse random images or search for “salmon cannery” or “Anacortes veneer” and fine tune your results. Also, you can help us identify, add to and correct our photo descriptions by clicking the “send feedback” tab on website photographs.
- The new Anacortes Museum Channel on YouTube has local historic films and new museum features.
- Anacortes High School Rhododendron yearbooks are available to browse online.
For a full list of cancellations and postponements and online alternatives please visit the City of Anacortes Museum web page.
Update – March 31
Our parks, trails and athletic fields are still open for use while practicing proper social distancing. We closed the Dog Park at Ace of Hearts Park on “H” Avenue on March 30. Playgrounds, sports courts and picnic shelters remain closed. The campground and boat launch are still open at Washington Park as is the Loop Road.
Our goal is to keep our remaining facilities open to allow for exercise and recreation. Please help us by practicing social distancing. If you see an area is crowded, please be flexible and go to another park or try another time. Thank you. Be safe and take care.
- All park playgrounds, sports courts and picnic shelters, and the Dog Park are closed.
- Park trails, athletic fields and beaches where appropriate social distancing can be practiced will remain open. It is essential that you follow social distancing guidelines spelled out by the Skagit County Department of Health.
- Currently Washington Park Campground and boat launch remain open. This is subject to change, please monitor our website.
- We have cancelled all current recreation programs. We will evaluate in the month of April and provide updates.
- All rentals scheduled for the Depot Arts Center and Anacortes Senior Center are cancelled for the months of March and April. Renters will be given a full refund.
- No future rental events at the Depot and Senior Center will be scheduled at this time.
- Games and scrimmages on City fields are cancelled indefinitely.
- Events at the Washington Park Group Camp and Group Picnic are also cancelled for March and April. Renters will be given a full refund.
The Anacortes Senior Activities Center is closed. The following services will continue.
Meals on Wheels. There are currently no changes to the Meals on Wheels Program. Daily hot meal delivery will continue, Monday through Friday and frozen weekend meals for Meals on Wheels clients as long as staffing and volunteer capacity allows.
Congregate Lunch Program (In-House Lunch Service). The congregate lunch program will be closed until further notice. Frozen meals are available for pick up. Arrangements can be made by calling the Senior Activity Center at 360-293-7473.
Special Events. Special events associated with the Center will be cancelled including: Meals on Wheels fundraising events including the Wii Bowling Bash, The Bingo & Baked Potato Bar and the March for Meals Bowling Bash. Also cancelled will be the Saint Patrick’s Day Luncheon, the Unconventional Runway Show and the Kevin Carroll Ukulele workshops and concert.
Updates. Updates regarding the closure and eventual re-opening of the Center will be posted on the Center’s website (Senior Center Web Page), the Anacortes Senior Activity Center Facebook page, on the Center’s answering machine and on the front door of the ASAC.
EFFECTIVE MARCH 26, 2020 – The City of Anacortes Building Department has ceased to perform non-emergency inspections on commercial and residential construction until the Governor’s order is lifted. All construction sites shall be secured and made safe prior to vacating. Inspections for emergency repairs identified in the Governor’s order may be performed using Facetime.
The Planning Community and Economic Development (PCED) permit counter services will be available by phone and email with conference call sbeing scheduled as needed. All applicable fees can be paid online, over the phone, drop box outside City Hall or by mail (P.O. Box 547 Anacortes, WA 98221).
Please see here for information on picking up permits, submitting permits, paying fees, and drop box use.
It is the PCED’s goal to provide an equivalent level of service throughout this challenging time.
The Anacortes Police Department has suspended fingerprinting services on Wednesday mornings until further notice.
During the weeks that City Hall will be closed to customers, we do have several options by which to make your payment. We highly encourage setting up AUTO PAY. You can set up AUTO PAY through our website.
Normal utility disconnect procedures due to lack of payment have been suspended during this time of crisis. State law does not allow unpaid utility balances to be written off, so the monthly bill will continue to accrue. If you need help with your payments or have any questions please call us at 360-293-1909 or 360-299-1968.
The April 11, 2020 Free Clean Up Day is canceled.
Waste Management is putting safety first, minimizing disruption for customers and making sure you have the best information available. If you need assistance please contact the Waste Management Support Center.
For service inquiries / missed pick-ups you may call 1-800-592-9995.