Current Facility Closures
City facilities remain operational and staff can be reached by email or phone. We look forward to seeing you in Phase 3!
- Anacortes Public Library
- Anacortes Senior Activities Center
- Anacortes Museum
- City Hall
- Public Safety Building
- Municipal Court
- Anacortes Police Department Lobby
All City essential services will continue, including public safety, solid waste services, water and sewer.
Summer 2020 Events Sponsored by the City of Anacortes are Cancelled.
The City of Anacortes has been closely monitoring the COVID-19 public health crisis and the recommendations of the Governor’s Office and the Skagit County Public Health Department. Last week the Skagit County Public Health Officer Dr. Howard Leibrand, issued guidance on summer events. The recommendations are that the community should cancel or postpone all large scale events, therefore the City of Anacortes has made the decision to cancel the following:
- Kids Fishing Event, scheduled to take place June 6, 2020
- Bark in Park, scheduled to take place June, 20 2020
- Fourth of July Town Photo and Patriotic Parade.
- Kids R Best Fest, scheduled to take place July 11, 2020
- Art Dash scheduled, to take place August 1, 2020
- Anacortes Community Energy Fair, scheduled to take place on September 12, 2020
The City of Anacortes Parks and Recreation Department is evaluating the remainder of our summer programs to find ways to adapt or postpone our recreation programs. The City’s priority is public health and we believe that physical health is an important component of public health. If possible we will provide programming in a socially distanced or virtual capacity.
One of the elements of Bark in the Park is a pet food drive, we believe we can do this drive in a way that facilitates social distancing. Details will be available on the Parks and Recreation Department’s webpage soon. Additionally, the City is exploring ways to offer the Art Dash as a “virtual run” where participants could run their own course, log their time, and still be a part of the event!
Please visit our website at: https://www.anacorteswa.gov/490/Parks-Recreation or follow the City of Anacortes Parks and Recreation Department on Facebook for more information as it becomes available. If you have specific questions please refer them to Dustin South, Recreation Manager at 360-293-1918 or email@example.com.
City of Anacortes Information by Department
Essential staff will continue to work in City Hall.
City of Anacortes Public Meetings
The City of Anacortes has instituted Temporary Procedures to Respond to the COVID-19 virus. City leadership will continue to work hard to protect our community and ensure continuity of essential services while minimizing exposure to our residents and staff.
- The City is postponing indefinitely all meetings of the Anacortes Planning Commission and all other City boards and commissions.
- All City Councilmembers are encouraged to attend all meetings via telephone.
- All in-person Committee meetings of the City Council are cancelled. Council committee meetings may be held telephonically.
- The public comment portion of Council meetings and any scheduled public hearings are temporarily suspended to discourage public in-person attendance of City Council meetings. City Council and staff encourages members of the public to participate by watching meetings live or viewed after the fact on the City of Anacortes website or on Channel 10. The public is encouraged to comment via email or written comment addressed to: City Clerk, P.O. Box 547, Anacortes, WA 98221. Public comments received prior to the meeting will become part of the record for the meeting, just as if presented in person.
Please contact the Mayor’s office at 360-299-1950 with any questions.
The Anacortes Fire Department business office will be closed to public until further notice.
The Anacortes Public Library is closed.
This includes the Community Meeting Room and Study Rooms. All holds and checkouts are suspended. The following services will continue:
- Email reference services – Monday through Friday, 11:00am – 4:30pm
- Online activities and storytimes and training sessions on how to navigate e-resources (watch our Facebook page or website for links for our latest offerings!) https://www.anacorteswa.gov/220/Library
- Increased purchasing of eBooks and eAudiobooks
- An online library card signup process so that patrons can get cards and use them for e-materials
- Daily wifi in our parking lot – 7:00am – 10:00pm
The library book drop will be closed. Please hold onto your items until we reopen. The library does not charge overdue fees, and all items will be auto-renewed until the library opens.
Expanded online resources
Hoopla checkouts are extended to 10 items a month with support from the Library Foundation. Overdrive/Libby, Lynda, Mango, and more are available using your library account via online access for digital books, audio books, online tutorials, movies, music and more.
All library adult and children’s programming has been cancelled until further notice. For a full list of cancellations and postponements please visit the City of Anacortes Public Library web page.
The Friends of the Library shop is closed until further notice.
The Anacortes Museum is closed.
Here is a list of Anacortes Museum activities you can do from home or anywhere:
- Our Newspaper Exhibit is now free to access online.
- Our photo database has over 55,000 keyword searchable photographs, representing the artifacts in the Online Anacortes Museum Collection. You can browse random images or search for “salmon cannery” or “Anacortes veneer” and fine tune your results. Also, you can help us identify, add to and correct our photo descriptions by clicking the “send feedback” tab on website photographs.
- The new Anacortes Museum Channel on YouTube has local historic films and new museum features.
- Anacortes High School Rhododendron yearbooks are available to browse online.
For a full list of cancellations and postponements and online alternatives please visit the City of Anacortes Museum web page.
- Park Trails
- Anacortes Community Forest Lands: Horse Trailer parking allowed
- Washington Park Boat Launch & Loop Road
- Fishing at Heart Lake
- Ace of Hearts Park (Dog Park) on "H" Ave
- Washington Park Campgrounds
- Athletic Fields, Pickle Ball, Tennis and basketball courts are all open with restrictions on group size.
- The road to the summit of Mt. Erie is open 7 days a week 6am-10pm
- Park Playgrounds (Limit of 5)
- Picnic Shelters
- Facility rentals
- Group camp is still closed at Washington Park.
For up to date information on event and program offerings, please visit https://www.cityofanacortes.org/490/Parks-Recreation.
If you have any questions, please check our website https://www.anacorteswa.gov or call us at 360-293-1918.
The Anacortes Senior Activities Center is closed. The following services will continue.
Meals on Wheels is being served out of the Methodist Church. Daily hot meal delivery will continue, Monday through Friday and frozen weekend meals for Meals on Wheels clients as long as staffing and volunteer capacity allows.
Congregate Lunch Program (In-House Lunch Service). The congregate lunch program will be closed until further notice. Frozen meals are available for pick up. Arrangements can be made by calling the Senior Activity Center at 360-293-7473.
Special Events. Special events associated with the Center will be cancelled including: Meals on Wheels fundraising events including the Wii Bowling Bash, The Bingo & Baked Potato Bar and the March for Meals Bowling Bash. Also cancelled will be the Saint Patrick’s Day Luncheon, the Unconventional Runway Show and the Kevin Carroll Ukulele workshops and concert.
Updates. Updates regarding the closure and eventual re-opening of the Center will be posted on the Center’s website (Senior Center Web Page), the Anacortes Senior Activity Center Facebook page, on the Center’s answering machine and on the front door of the ASAC.
UPDATED MAY 12th, 2020: Due to COVID-19, City Hall remains closed to the public. Based on WA Governor’s proclamation concerning COVID19 Phase 1, some building projects are now allowed with COVID19 safety plans in place per L&I standards. L&I will be approving and enforcing on-site safety plans.
Planning, Community, & Economic Development Staff will continue to accept, review, and issue permits, and offer limited inspections.
BUILDING INSPECTIONS: Limited to WA Governor’s COVID19 Phase 1 allowed construction, critical activities (as defined by the State), infrastructure, and life safety items (water heaters, furnaces,reroofs, etc). They will be done via FaceTime when possible. Some on-site inspections can occur if COVID19 safety plans are in place.
APPLYING FOR PERMITS: In order to limit contact, we will be accepting building permit submittals and planning department submittals via a drop box at the back door of City Hall, and online. STAFF WILL CONTINUE TO BE AVAILABLE BY PHONE AND EMAIL.
On-line building submittals: email to firstname.lastname@example.org
On-line planning submittals: email to email@example.com
Application forms at: https://www.anacorteswa.gov/880/Applications-Handouts-Fees
If using dropbox behind City Hall:
- Fold and band complete application, plans, supporting documents, etc and place in drop box. If submitting via thumb drive, please place in an envelope with application. Then Call 360-293-1901 to let staff know of the drop off.
- Permits will be processed¸reviewed etc.
- You will be notified via email when permit is ready for payment, and payment options and how to get your permit.
The Anacortes Police Department has suspended fingerprinting services on Wednesday mornings until further notice.
During the weeks that City Hall will be closed to customers, we do have several options by which to make your payment. We highly encourage setting up AUTO PAY. You can set up AUTO PAY through our website.
Normal utility disconnect procedures due to lack of payment have been suspended during this time of crisis. State law does not allow unpaid utility balances to be written off, so the monthly bill will continue to accrue. If you need help with your payments or have any questions please call us at 360-293-1909 or 360-299-1968.
The April 11, 2020 Free Clean Up Day is canceled.
Waste Management is putting safety first, minimizing disruption for customers and making sure you have the best information available. If you need assistance please contact the Waste Management Support Center.
For service inquiries / missed pick-ups you may call 1-800-592-9995.