Anacortes has many memorials. Some are in the form of monuments dedicated to those lost at sea or in battle, or while students in local schools. This webpage offers location, history and background on the people memorialized on these monuments. If you have more information to offer, please contact the Anacortes Museum at (360)-293-1915 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Altair - Americus Memorial Park is dedicated to the crews of the fishing vessels Altair and Americus, lost at sea on February 14, 1983. The park is located on R Avenue near Ninth Street on the Anacortes waterfront. The memorial was dedicated on September 15, 1991.
Causland Memorial Park is located on a full block in downtown Anacortes. It’s unique stone masonry, designed by Jean Baptiste Lepage, were a part of its nomination to the National Register of Historic Places. The park was constructed as a tribute to Harry Leon Causland and the 13 other local men who lost their lives during WWI. Today it includes memorials for those lost in WWII, Korea and Vietnam as well. It was constructed between 1919 and 1921, and dedicated on September 25, 1921.
The monument placed in 1976 near the net sheds of Cap Sante Marina was moved in 1999 to its current location in the park that bears its name. The plaque on the monument simply states its purpose: "The citizens of Anacortes erected this memorial in honor of those from this community who died at sea while in the pursuit of their livelihood." This memorial was originally dedicated on August 28, 1976 and rededicated on Memorial Day, May 31, 1999.
Dedicated in 2016 as the entry to the new Anacortes High School football stadium. The plaza memorializes veterans, including local Medal of Honor recipients, James Okubo and Gerald Young. The plaza symbolically replaces War Memorial Field, which is now the site of the new high school building. The memorial was dedicated on October 5, 2016.
In 1925, the City of Anacortes acquired 11-acres on the north shore of Guemes Island from the estate of William Payne to be used for park purposes. In 1968, the Anacortes City Council named the park “Gerald Young Park” in recognition of Medal of Honor recipient Air Force Lt. Col. Gerald Young. In 1977, the Anacortes City Council voted to transfer the park to Skagit County with Resolution 480.