The city is divided into zones to assist in orderly community development, conserve the value of property, and safeguard the public welfare by:
- Implementing the Anacortes comprehensive plan policies through land use regulations.
- Providing for adequate public facilities and services in conjunction with development.
- Providing an efficient and compatible relationship of land uses and zones.
- Providing for a transportation system that offers greater options, mobility, safety, and access in support of the city’s growth strategy.
- Conserving the city’s natural resources and attractions.