Do I Need a Permit?
All applicable commercial and residential construction in Anacortes requires a permit to ensure that safety matters are addressed, as well as Washington State Code, Anacortes Municipal Code, & International Building Codes.
Generally, Anacortes requires a building permit (or a mechanical, plumbing, or grading permit) anytime you erect, construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, improve, convert, or demolish a building or structure.
If in doubt, please ask! 360-293-1901 or email@example.com.
Types of Work: Building Permit Not Required*
Painting, papering, & similar finish work
Shelves & counters
Temporary motion picture, television and theater stage sets and scenery.
Residential storage sheds, playhouses, and similar uses, provided that the area does not exceed 144 square feet. The structure must comply with required setbacks from property lines.*
Retaining Walls 4 ft. or less with no unbalanced backfill or supported surcharge*
*A permit may be required if the property is near a critical area such as a wetland, stream, steep slope, or shoreline.
- Antenna towers, extensions, & replacements
- Change in location of plumbing fixtures
- Demolition of structures, tank removals, or any removal of materials with asbestos
- Fireplaces, including gas
- Flag poles
- Garage conversions
- Heaters & log lighters
- Interior remodels
- Membrane structures
- Mobile homes @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Mobile homes
- Moving or removing walls
- Range hoods
- Replacement of mechanical fixtures (i.e. furnaces, water heaters, & gas piping)
- Satellite dishes
- Solar panels
- Structure framing
- Water heaters
- Window or door replacements
- Wood stoves @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>