Emergency & Disaster Preparedness
Alerts Sign Up
Sign up for CodeRED a free, emergency alerts system from Skagit county.
CodeRED is an emergency alerts system that notify you of any emergency alerts in Skagit County. You can manage what kinds of alerts you will receive (i.e tsunami warnings, flood warnings, crime threats, high winds, etc.) and the specific areas that you want to receive notifications from (i.e City of Anacortes, March's Point, Guemes Island, Burlington, etc.). CodeRED will send these emergency alerts to your email, cell phone, or home phone, based on your preferences and geographic location.
Individual, Family & Home Planning Guide
If a major earthquake or other disaster struck in your area today, you might be without direct assistance for at least 72 hours. Are you prepared to be self-sufficient? Is your family?
Families can and do cope with disaster by preparing in advance and working together as a team. Knowing what to do is your best protection and your responsibility.
Individual & Family Preparedness
- Know the safe areas in each room (under sturdy tables, desks, or against inside walls)
- Know the danger spots in each room (windows, mirrors, hanging objects, fireplaces, and tall furniture)
- Keep a list of emergency telephone numbers
- Pick two places to meet – right outside your home in case of a sudden emergency, like a fire; and outside your neighborhood in case you can’t return home or are asked to leave your neighborhood
- Choose an out-of-state relative or friend whom family members can call to report their whereabouts and condition
- Install smoke alarms on each level of your home, especially near bedrooms
- Know how to use your fire extinguisher and show family members where extinguishers are kept
- Teach all responsible family members how and when to turn off the water, gas, and electricity at the main switches or valves
- Secure your water heater and any appliances that could move enough to rupture utility lines
- Plan how to take care of your animals
- Discuss what to do if authorities ask you to evacuate
- Be familiar with escape routes