- Your Government
- Library Foundation
The Anacortes Public Library Foundation promotes and supports the Library by securing and managing donations for Library services and programs not normally provided by public funding.
The Library Foundation was established in 1998 to raise private donations to help build the current Library.
If you have questions about including the Library Foundation as part of your planned giving, please contact Library Director, Jeff Vogel at 360-588-8128.
Want to know more? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Frequently Asked Questions
How does the Foundation fulfill its mission?
The Foundation provides funds to the Anacortes Public Library in these essential areas:
- Literacy and Lifelong Learning, including programming and services for children, teens and adults.
- Library collections of print, electronic and audio-visual materials.
- Infrastructure projects including technology and building enhancements.
- Continued growth of the Library through support of grant writing and development.
I already pay Library taxes. Why should I donate money too?
Local taxes support the cost of budgeted and routine Library operations. For Anacortes, our Library has become a multi-generational community center of learning offering additional programs and services that are not covered by the City budget. The funds that support these enrichment programs are provided in part by generous donations to the Foundation which allow the Anacortes Public Library to maintain its excellent performance.
What are some of the major initiatives that the Foundation has helped fund for the Library?
The Foundation was formed in 1998 to raise large sums of private donations to help build our new Library. It accomplished its initial mission and has since broadened its mission. It has undertaken collaborative projects in partnership with the City, service organizations, and individuals. Some of the major projects include:
- Purchase and maintenance of eBooks and online resources.
- Purchase of meeting room sound system
- Upgrade library computer and security system
- Funds for a mobile computer laptop bar.
- Upgrade building infrastructure projects including lighting, faucets, cabinetry, and others.
- Funds for Library Art collection
- Purchase software, movie license
What kind of charitable bequests can I give the Library?
Charitable bequests are generally given to the library through wills or estate plans. Donors may choose to give a bequest to the Library, through the Foundation, in a number of ways including:
- Bequests in Wills
- Charitable Trusts and Estate Arrangements
- Life insurance policies
- Matching Gifts from Corporations
- Real Property
- Stocks or bonds
How is the Foundation different from Friends of the Library?
The Foundation and Friends of the Library are both important and critical organizations that help ensure the Library’s long term success. The Friends generate most of their funding from the operation of the Friends book store at the Library. They also receive bequests and donations. Their funding is focused on books and periodicals for the Library, and supporting the children’s program.
By-Laws of the Anacortes Library Foundation
Anacortes Public Library Foundation is a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit corporation. Tax ID 91-1933694. Your donation is tax-deductible to the full extent allowed by law.
Ready to become a Library supporter? Your generosity can make all the difference.
You are Funding the Future Anacortes Public Library
How can I donate to the Library through the Foundation?
There are several ways you can make a donation to the Library Foundation:
- Cash donations [including checks, credit card, and Paypal]
- Make a Legacy Pledge
- Inscribe a Tile in the Library Donor Wall
- Buy an Engraved Brick
- Make a Charitable Bequest
How does the Foundation manage the donations received?
In addition to raising funds, the Foundation is a steward of large bequests such as the Manieri Endowment for jazz and swing music, the Maritime Endowment and the Jeane Thompson Gardening Bequest. There is a standing Investment Management Committee within the Foundation Board that provides investment guidelines.