The mission of the Anacortes Public Library Foundation is to support Library services and programs beyond what city funding provides. The Foundation manages donations and supports specific emerging needs of the Library.
Beginning with a few passionate Library supporters, a grassroots movement became what the Foundation is today. The Foundation was established in 1998 to raise funds to build the beautiful Library facility in our community.
Foundation Supported Programs
- Access to streaming media and music through Hoopla.
- Ensuring that all students and teachers in the Anacortes School District have access to digital resources.
- Music programming, education, and scholarships.
- Maritime materials, programs, and scholarships.
- Funding for a new EV charging station.
- Supporting service for WiFi Hotspots, available for checkout.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does the Foundation partner with the Friends of the Library?
The Foundation was created to fund the current Library building, and both organizations support the Library, working together to meet the community’s needs. A member of the Friends’ board is part of the Foundation board, and both organizations support collaborative projects. Library staff work closely with each group to allocate funding. The Foundation manages legacy donations that target specific areas of community enrichment and provide support for emerging needs of the Library.
How do Foundation funds supplement the City of Anacortes budget?
City resources are budgeted to support building maintenance, staffing, and an essential library collection. When resources are stretched, or funding is cut, the Foundation and Friends ensure that literacy programs, collections, technology access, and educational resources remain funded. The APLF provides extensive digital resources beyond the City’s ability, ensuring that members of the Anacortes community have access to necessary and current materials regardless of local financial constraints. A donation to the Foundation is an investment in the ongoing excellence of the Library and its mission to ensure a lifetime of discovery for all.
Support the Foundation
Participate, Communicate, Donate
We can’t do it alone. Your donation to the Foundation supports equitable access to essential library services including expanded digital catalogs with thousands of books and magazine titles, and library cards for all Anacortes School District students. Your donations help ensure that the Anacortes Public Library continues to be a leader in discovery and literacy in our community.
How can I donate to the Library through the Foundation?
- Donate directly to the Foundation by clicking the Donate button below, through our website, or by simply mailing or bringing a check to the Library.
- Contribute via the Legacy Program, pledging a one-time or monthly donation to secure the Foundation’s continued ability to support Library programs.
- Honor a loved one with an engraved wall tile or brick, located at the Library entry area.
- Communicate with family and friends, letting them know about the availability of library resources including digital books, movies, magazines, and music. Spread the word about jazz and maritime scholarship opportunities.
- Participate in free events such as Manieri Jazz performances and Maritime educational programs. Program information is available through the Library website and other City publications.
Anacortes Public Library Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation. Tax ID 91-1933694. Your donation is tax-deductible to the full extent allowed by law.
How does the Foundation manage the donations received?
The Foundation Board manages and administers donated funds as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit. The Investment Management Committee within the APLF Board oversees ongoing investments.
Get in Touch
If you have questions about including the Library Foundation as part of your planned giving, please contact Administrative Assistant, Michelle Hanna at 360-588-8329.
Want to know more? Contact us at email@example.com
Follow us on Facebook and Instagram