Requirements & Benefits
All dogs within the city limits of Anacortes over the age of 16 weeks must have a current City of Anacortes dog license (AMC 6.04.020) attached to their collar. All licenses expire December 31st of every year, regardless of when they are purchased. Fees are not pro-rated. If your dog is picked up by the Police Department and is wearing a current city license, the officers will attempt to bring your pet home prior to placing it in the city pound.
Getting a License
Dog licenses may be purchased or renewed online or by mailing in a completed dog license application. You must provide written proof from your veterinarian of a current rabies vaccination, spay/neuter (when applicable) and age (when applicable) to be issued a license. A serially numbered metal license tag will be issued and should be placed securely on your dog's collar.
Dog licenses may also be purchased in person in the Finance Department at City Hall or at the Anacortes Police Department during regular business hours. Bring along a copy of the required paperwork, have your vet fax it to us at 360-293-1928, or email it to Animal Control.
- Spayed/Neutered dogs: $10 per year
- Intact dogs under 8 months old OR over 9 years old: $10 per year
- Intact dogs: $50 per year
- Replacement tags: $2 each
- Service dogs: Free (still require yearly renewal)
- Hobby Kennel: $20 per year (each dog also must be individually licensed, see AMC 6.04.055)