Welcome to Our Website
The Anacortes Museum, Maritime Heritage Center and W.T. Preston exist to preserve and interpret the history of Fidalgo and Guemes Islands and to nurture in the community an awareness and appreciation of its heritage.
The Anacortes Museum and our Maritime Heritage Center will be closed to visitors until further notice. Governor Inslee has ordered restaurants and bars to shutdown indoor service and museums are on the closure list in an effort to slow the coronavirus epidemic.
Museum staff will continue to respond to phone calls and e-mails, and our website is a portal to a wealth of photographs, movies, yearbooks, newspapers, exhibits and other history.
A Tribute to Anacortes Bowling
Bowling alleys have had a prominent place in the City of Anacortes' history from its very early days. In June of 1891, the one-month-old city passed Ordinance No. 9 "to provide for licensing and regulating the keeping of gaming tables and bowling alleys" for hire, and set the fee at $10 per alley per year. Offering free play did not provide an exemption. The ordinance stipulated that if players bet on the outcome, requiring the loser to buy a round of drinks or cigars from the host establishment, then the alley was deemed "for hire" and subject to the licensing fee.
It took more than a decade before a truly modern bowling alley was established in town. The first mentioned in the Anacortes American was Ernest Rhine's $1,700 Brunswick bowling alley, which opened in November of 1904 on 5th Street "near Judd's photograph gallery." This was to be a wholesome operation. "Mr. Rhine will at all times maintain the best of order and ladies will be admitted at any and all times," the American reported on Nov. 24, 1904. "There will be no rowdyism, the alley will be conducted as a strictly moral and first-class place." By September of 1905 Rhine had added a third lane. His brother Bert was soon operating the business, and sold it to Gene Woodin in 1907.
Early 1900's Anacortes bowling team. Left to right: Martin Pardis, Donald Duff, Dr. Edward Everett Butler (who was Mayor of Anacortes in 1897), saloon keeper Charley Newman, attorney Harry Barney, "Fat" Stewart and bowling alley owner Bert Rhine.
In late 1908 Glen Wilkins (a local bowling champ) and Lea Dodge began construction of a 25x100 foot building on 5th Street between Commercial and Q, with three No. 1 Brunswick-Balke hard maple alleys. This is probably the structure behind the Majestic Inn that was demolished a few years ago. Wilkins and Dodge sold their interests the following year. The town's initial bowling mania in town cooled after the early 1910s, at roughly the same time the state's voters enacted liquor prohibition.
In January 1914 a bowling alley at 303 Commercial was removed to make way for a second-hand furniture store. That year, construction plans for the Elks Club's new lodge at 6th and Q included a provision to add a future bowling alley, then the mention of bowling disappears from the pages of the American for the rest of the decade and into the 1920s. Bowling was one of the activities conducted in the Elks Home, which later served as a community building and then City Hall.
In February of 1925 Glen Wilkins tried once more to establish a bowling emporium. The Anacortes American reported that he was installing bowling alleys, billiard and pool tables, cigar cases, and a soft drink bar in the old Rose Theater. But by Nov. 1, 1928 the paper reported that the Rose Theater was to be demolished.
San Juan Lanes while it was located at the Phillips Building, 918 4th St.
San Juan Lanes opened in the early 1950s on the second floor of the Phillips Building, 918 4th St., and old photos show the iconic neon bowling pin sign at this location. San Juan Lanes was successful enough to expand into a roomier facility, and construction began on the bowling alley at 2821 Commercial (the former site of the Nelson School) in August 1960. A drawing from that era shows architect Don McKee's concept for the building. This site served bowlers, arcade lovers, and connoisseurs of hearty American breakfasts for generations, until it closed its doors in October of 2020.
Architect Don McKee's concept art for San Juan Lanes Commercial location.
Veterans Day History
Eric Johnson Plays the Bagpipes
The annual observance of Armistice Day was enacted by Congress in 1926, and it was promoted to a federal holiday in 1938. In 1954, at the order of President Dwight Eisenhower, the name of the holiday was changed to Veterans Day.
Armistice Day marked the end of World War I – which ceased at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918.
The first anniversary of Armistice Day did not go unnoticed in Anacortes. “Armistice Day was not so generally observed in Anacortes as in other communities in the state, some of the business houses only being closed, and the schools remaining in session that day” the Anacortes American reported. “But it was in the schools, however, that the only public observance was given the day, the students at the Columbian in assembly listening to a patriotic address by Senator W. V. Wells.
Washington’s first Armistice Day anniversary in 1919 was marred when a group of World War I veterans decided to shut down the International Workers of the World office in Centralia. The “Wobblies” resisted, a gun battle ensued, and four veterans died. The following year, 1920, Gov. Hart proclaimed Nov. 11 as a holiday to celebrate Armistice Day and Washington’s Admission Day, “not forgetting to stop their activities and exercises for a moment to breathe a silent prayer of sympathy for those
In 1921, the recently renamed (and still unfinished) Causland Memorial Park served as a focal point of the city’s patriotic and memorial events – a role it has played ever since. Acting Mayor Trafton declared the day a holiday. Planned events, weather permitting, included patriotic songs, speeches, and sermons.
A major event took place just before Armistice Day in 1946, when War Memorial Field was dedicated at Anacortes High School. The Nov. 8 dedication was followed immediately by a football game between the Mount Vernon Bulldogs vs. Anacortes Seahawks.
On Nov. 11, 1988, a memorial with plaques listing those who died in World War II, Korea and Vietnam was dedicated at Causland Memorial Park. Eleven years later, on Nov. 11, 1999, veterans broke ground on a memorial at Grand View Cemetery to those killed in Vietnam.
Veterans At Causland Park
In October of 2016 a new Veterans Memorial Plaza was dedicated at Anacortes High School after the football field was relocated to make way for construction of the new school. Designed by local architect Brooks Middleton, it describes the major conflicts the United States has been involved in, and some key local figures, such as Medal of Honor recipients James Okubo and Gerald Young.
The plaza will be open to the public on Veterans Day, 2020, with social distancing and masking requirements in place.
FEATURE ARTICLE: The Spanish Influenza outbreak of 1918
by Museum Curator Elaine Walker
“With schools and businesses closed, nurses exhausted and many people caring for sick loved ones at home, it feels to us like the COVID-19 pandemic is historically unprecedented. However, Anacortes citizens faced an almost identical situation 100 years ago when the Spanish Influenza swept the world.”
So begins an in-depth article, Spanish Influenza in Anacortes, by our Curator of Collections, Elaine Walker, who put her reporter’s hat back on to research and write about these stories from Anacortes history. She has also assembled the original stories, found in online Anacortes American’s, which can be read in the original historic pages or in this chronological compilation, Spanish Influenza articles AA 1918-1920. READ MORE…
Anacortes Museum - CLOSED
Located in the historic Carnegie Library Building.
Tuesday through Saturday
10 AM- 4 PM
1 PM- 4 PM
1305 8th Street, Anacortes WA 98221