The Anacortes Public Library Board of Trustees
Left to Right: Katherine Hamer, Alethea Fleming, Christina Hansen, John Shafer, Dave Duck, and Ruth Barefoot, Former Director.
Recruitment for the Anacortes Library Board of Trustees
The Mayor is seeking applicants for the Anacortes Library Board of Trustees. This position is appointed by the Mayor, confirmed by the City Council, and serves a five year term. The Board meets monthly, with appropriate study and work sessions between meetings, as required.
- The Library Board of Trustees listens to the community needs and concerns, supports the library’s public relations program, and keeps abreast of library trends and standards. A Trustee should know and abides by Library board bylaws, and represent the Library’s point of view at City Council meetings and other public forums.
- The Library Board discusses and adopts library policies with the Library Director, reviews the annual library budget, attends all regularly scheduled Library Board meetings and other special meetings as needed, and attends library functions as appropriate. Interested applicants should have a desire to serve the library and the community; time to devote to board responsibilities; and willingness to serve as advocates for library development.
- To apply please submit a Talent Bank Application here or copy and paste the following URL: https://anacorteswa.gov/FormCenter/Office-of-the-Mayor-4/Talent-Bank-Application-for-Public-Invol-43. If you are interested please submit an application to the Talent Bank by 5 p.m. October 16, 2020. If you have any questions about the application please contact Alexandra Holden at
firstname.lastname@example.org or 360-299-1950.
The Anacortes Public Library Board of Trustees are citizens who have a desire to serve the library and the community; time to devote to board responsibilities; and willingness to serve as advocates for library development. Trustees are appointed by the Mayor, confirmed by the City Council, and serve a five year term.
Library Board of Trustees Responsibilities
- Listens to the community needs and concern
- Supports the library’s public relations program
- Knows local and state laws regarding public libraries and keeps abreast of library trends and standards
- Knows and abides by library board bylaws
- Represents the library’s point of view at city council meetings and other public forums
- Discusses and adopts library policies
- With the library director, reviews the annual library budget
- Attends all regularly scheduled Board meetings and other special meetings as needed
- Attends library functions as appropriate
- Works with library director on community assessment & long range plans
- Affiliates with state and national library organizations.
Currently serving on the Library Board: Alethea Fleming, Katherine Hamer, David Duck, Christina Hansen, and John Shafer. The Library Director is an ex-officio member of the Board and therefore has no vote on Board issues.
- Alethea Fleming, President
Term expires: December 2022
- Katherine Hamer, Vice-President
Term expires: December 2021
- Christina Hansen, Secretary
Term expires: December 2024
- David Duck
Term expires: December 2020
- John Shafer
Term expires: December 2024
- Jeff Vogel, Library Director
- Meetings of the Anacortes Public Library Board of Trustees are open to the public. Your attendance and participation are welcome.
- Meetings take place the 2nd Monday of the month. 9:00 am, in the Friends of the Library Meeting Room.
- If you would like to attend, please contact Michelle Hanna, (360) 588-8329, email@example.com by the Friday prior to the meeting. While the Library is closed, Board meetings are being held online via video conferencing. If you have a question for the Board that you would like formally addressed, please send your question to MichelleH@cityofanacortes.org by 5 p.m. on the Friday before the meeting.
- 5 Members
- 5-Year terms
- City Resident (possible one County)
- Limited to 2 full terms
Library Board of Trustees
|January 2017||January 2018||January 2019|
|February 2017||February 2018|
|March 2017||March 2018||June 2019|
|April 2017||April 2018||July 2019|
|May 2017||May 2018||August 2019|
|June 2017||June 2018||September 2019|
|July 2017||July 2018||October 2019|
|August 2017 (Canceled)||August 2018||November 2019|
|September 2017||September 2018||December 2019 (No Meeting)|
|October 2017||January 2020|
|November 2017||November 2018||February 2020|
|December 2017 (Canceled)||December 2018 (No meeting)|