Mayor Gere's COVID-19 Community Briefing 2020 Schedule, 4PM on Channel 10.
- November 4, 2020
- November 18, 2020
- December 2, 2020
A Message from Mayor Gere
Welcome to the City of Anacortes!
Our mission is to maintain and improve the quality of life reflecting community expectations through a focus on public participation and employees-mayor-council teamwork.
We are a mission-driven organization and it is my fiscal responsibility to continuously evaluate City revenue and expenditures with a goal of maintaining a strong financial position, while providing quality municipal services.
The City seeks to support a dynamic and robust local economy with balanced and sustainable growth that will create jobs and improve the tax basis within the community. We are committed to providing the most effective and efficient services.
We are focusing on five areas that contribute to the quality of life for all our citizens, areas that we are paying close and particular attention to: public safety, infrastructure, economic development, disaster preparedness and transparency. We will work with our community in a respectful and collaborative manner to continuously improve the quality of life of those in our community.
The City of Anacortes is a code city and a Mayor/Council form of government. The Mayor is the chief executive and administrative officer for the City of Anacortes. The Mayor oversees and manages all operations in the City including eleven departments:
Planning, Community & Economic Development
- Reviews land use permits and building permits for consistency with adopted zoning regulations and adopted building codes.
- Responsible for periodic updates to various documents including the comprehensive plan, development regulations and strategic plans.
- Provides risk management and labor relations support.
- Provides management support to City departments, City Council, and the public.
- Provides municipal court services, public defense services, Information Technologies and the Access Fiber Internet department.
- Manages the construction of streets and sidewalks, and distribution of water to the region; street signs; and the maintenance of our storm water and sewer system.
- Manages the purchase and maintenance of the vehicle and equipment fleet for the all city departments;
- Manages the maintenance, repair and construction of all city-owned buildings; and the management of all activities within the public right-of-way.
- Provides service to the community and its visitors at multiple brick and mortar facilities, and is meanwhile increasing internet accessibility of historical resources.
- Community engagement is a core value, exemplified by increasing involvement and visitation at our three facilities:
- The Carnegie Building,
- Maritime Heritage Center
- National Historic Landmark W.T. Preston.
Anacortes Fire Department
- All-Hazards Department that provides emergency incident response and mitigation to the City of Anacortes and surrounding area of Fidalgo Island.
- Responds to emergency and non-emergency calls for structure fires, emergency medical services, motor vehicles accidents, rescues, wild-land fires, flooding, tornadoes, earthquakes, and hazardous materials incidents.
Anacortes Police Department
- The Patrol division is responsible for responding to all types of criminal complaints and suspicious activity, conducting traffic enforcement, and handling any other issue that effects public safety and welfare.
- The Investigations division conducts follow-up investigation to reported felonies and more complex cases.
- The department also has seven non-commissioned staff members which include five Records staff and two Community Service Officers.
Anacortes Parks & Recreation
- Maintain our parks, Grand View cemetery, city facilities grounds, our community forest lands, officiate youth sports leagues, offer community enrichment classes and provide recreational opportunities for ages 2 on up.
- Manages the campground and day use areas at Washington Park, operates the Depot Community Center and schedules after hours use at the Senior Activity Center and Heart of Anacortes.
- The Senior Activity Center has been serving seniors and the community as a whole for decades. This year it joins the Parks and Recreation Department in a slight departmental reorganization.
We are looking forward to opportunities to bring youths and seniors together for fun, education and community building in our programs.
Anacortes Public Library
Try the City’s Access Fiber Network at the Library!
- The Library is the central hub for access to education and learning, digital literacy, and community gathering for all ages.
- It is a quiet place to read, download a new library resource app, listen to amazing music at library concerts, crawl along with other toddlers in an early literacy program, check out a book or movie, apply for a passport, and so much more!
- Coordinates the preparation and publication of the City’s Annual Report, Budget and Capital Facilities Plan.
- Provide financial planning and analysis support to other City departments, the Mayor and the City Council. They manage the Treasurer’s office as prescribed by state law and oversee all debt administration, banking services, and City investments.
- Manages the accounting activities for the City including accounts payable, payroll, purchasing services and financial reporting. The staff is also responsible for cash receipts, accounts receivable, business licensing and dog licensing.
- Responsible for the billing and collection functions associated with water, sewer, storm drain, solid waste, and utility taxes.
- Advances, advocates, and safeguards the interest of the City while promoting behaviors that represent dignity and respect of self and of others.
- Provides municipal legal service to the City, its elected and appointed officials, and all city departments, boards and agencies in carrying out the good work they do; while striving to maintain accurate, timely, and quality support in accordance with all constitutional and statutory standards.
Mayor and City Council Goals
- Provide Community enrichment through quality of life services including library, recreation, museum, and cemetery services.
- Provide Public Safety through robust Police, Fire, EMS, and Court Services.
- Enable Community and Economic Development by preparing for growth and providing requirements for commerce opportunities.
- Provide Essential Services in the form of robust utility and transportation infrastructure.
- Ensure Natural Resource Sustainability by being good stewards of land, water rights, parks and forestlands.
- Provide Social Services in the form of health and indigent defense of vulnerable citizens.
- Provide a responsible and representative government that operates transparently with public process, maintaining financial sustainability.
As always, I encourage you to stay connected with what is going in the City of Anacortes. I continue to strive to do this important work and look forward to seeing and hearing from you throughout this year.