November 23, 2019
WCTU Fountain is unveiled on Commercial (1906)
Saturday, November 23, 2019
November 23rd – WCTU Fountain is unveiled on Commercial (1906)
Standing nine feet tall and weighing almost 1,000 pounds, the WCTU fountain was set up on 5th and Commercial. Originally bought by the Women's Christian Temperance Union, it was set up in town as a fountain for men, women, dogs and even horses, a true fountain for all. The Anacortes American reported that the fountain was "a convenience and luxury long needed... giving the city an air of prosperity." In 1972, the fountain moved to its current location at the Carnegie building.