Good afternoon all,
The following additional draft code chapters have been made available for public review on the City of Anacortes Development Regulations Update project website:
Ch. 19.43 – Bonus Incentives
Proposed regulations implement the Comprehensive Plan’s open space, housing affordability, and regulatory predictability goals and policies. The draft includes:
- Density bonuses and lot size flexibility in the R1 zone in exchange for providing permanent common open space areas in excess of typical minimum requirements and critical areas/buffers.
- Increased building height in certain multi-family and mixed use zones in exchange for providing affordable housing units.
- Increased building height in certain manufacturing and industrial zones based on specific application requirements, criteria and conditions.
Ch. 19.52 – Public Street Design
Proposed regulations implement the Comprehensive Plan’s goals and policies relating to increasing transportation options and mobility, reinforcing and enhancing community character, and minimizing impacts on the natural environment. The draft includes:
- Updated street classifications and general geometric standards.
- Opportunities for reduced pavement width and incorporation of low impact design features.
Ch. 19.53 – Private Driveways & Access
Proposed regulations promote safe and efficient roadway operations while providing access to adjacent properties and businesses. The draft includes:
- Updated driveway location, spacing, and width standards to enhance safety and the pedestrian environment.
- Updated shared access provisions for small land divisions to facilitate infill opportunities.
We know that many in the community are eager to begin the next steps in the review of the proposed development regulation updates. Thank you for your input and patience over the last several months while staff and MAKERS have worked to develop a more complete first draft of the proposed updates.
Here is the anticipated plan moving forward:
Late March/April: 2nd full draft released on project website
April - July: Joint Planning Commission / City Council meeting to introduce the 2nd draft; Planning Commission workshops on each chapter; SEPA review; WA Dept. of Commerce notification; Public hearing; Planning Commission recommendation
July – August: City Council consideration of Planning Commission recommendation and adoption meetings
Please contact Libby Grage, Planning Manager, at 360-299-1986 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.